Manciano: “the spy of Tuscan Maremma”
The village of Manciano is located in the province of Grosseto, in the southern Tuscany, and is nicknamed “The spy of Tuscan Maremma”, as it rises up on a hill peak where it is possible to admire the territories of the whole Maremma grossetana, stretching from the mountains to the sea and from the hills to the lakes.
In a short time, it is possible to reach all main destination of the area: Thermal Baths of Saturnia and its wellness centre; the free thermal baths of the Mulino Falls and the Thermal Baths of Sorano; the villages of Sovana, Pitigliano, Sorano, Vulci and Tarquinia; the Etruscan Necropolis and the Vie Cave (Excavated Roads); the sea of Orbetello, Capalbio, Porto Ercole and Talamone; Porto Santo Stefano, where you will find the ferry to the Giglio and Giannutri Islands; the Natural Park of Maremma (or Uccellina Park); the Bolsena and Burano Lakes and the Mount Amiata.
What to see in Manciano
Manciano is a typical medieval village that still shows the signs of ancient dominations. There are many things to see in the village: the Aldobrandesca Fortress, built by the homonym family ruled over the territory; the Cassero Senese (which is also the municipality headquarters) and the Clock Tower built under the rule of the Republic of Siena; the Church of St. Leonardo, built in the medieval age in Romanesque-Gothic style and later restored; the Fountain of Piazza Garibaldi, designed by Pietro Aldi for celebrating the opening of the Aqueduct of Fiora. Outside the city walls, worthy of note is the Church of the Santissima Annunziata.
The origins of Manciano
The name Manciano appeared for the first time in a bill of sale entered into by Lamberto Orsini in 973. Instead, the urban area of the village was built towards the end of 1200 and, during this period, the Aldobrandeschis began the construction of the walls and, before the middle of 1300, built on the highest point of the hill the imposing fortress, that take their name. After the Aldobrandeschis, the town of Orvieto and the Orsini of Pitigliano fought for the control of the village and, then the latter, the Republic of Siena. After repeated occupations, the village was permanently assigned to the Orsini but remained below the high dominion of Siena.
Manciano County Seat
In 1555, after the fall of the Republic of Siena, in the war against Florence, Manciano became a Florentine property under the rule of the Medici. The period of Florentine rule will coincide with a time of economic and demographic decline of the village due to the growth of swamplands and the consequent epidemics. In the eighteenth century, the Dukes of Lorraine, who succeeded to the Medici, reclaimed the surrounding territory and restored many buildings, encouraging the recovery of economic activities and the beginning of a long prosperity that led the village to become the County Seat in 1783.